Thursday, October 21, 2010

I never thought I'd say this

Remember how I was super nervous to teach 5th grade? I worried about it all summer because I didn't really know what to expect. I thought the kids were old enough that I would be way out of my comfort zone, and I really worried about teaching math. That was seven weeks ago.

Today was my last day in 5th grade, and it took everything in me to not let the tears fall at the end of the day. Several of the kids got me little presents, and Launa even got me the second book in the Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy so that I can still have a chance to finish it. I was pretty excited about that. :) My kids have been talking all week about their "extra credit music assignment", too. You'd think that I would have picked up on something for all of them to be so excited about a music assignment, but I didn't. And then after they took their social studies test this afternoon, they all surprised me with a book they'd made! For their "extra credit music assignment" Launa had all of them write me a little note and decorate the page. And then she bound it, and gave it to me today. We took some pictures (which I so wish I could post!) and I got a hug from all of them. They all wanted me to sign a paper, too. :P But I was already in the process of writing them all a note to go home on Monday. So now I have an excuse to go back down there Monday morning. :D My most favorite part, though, was how excited they all got when I told them I would just be in Mrs. Hellstern's class upstairs, and that I would love to have them come see me before or after school. It really makes me excited to graduate and have my own class every year.

Monday I start teaching kindergarten. We're going to the pumpkin walk. And it's supposed to snow. Yeah, not cool. Hopefully it doesn't snow. I'll have to remember to take my camera and get some pictures for sure. :) I'm excited for kindergarten, I'm just not so excited to have to think like I did last year for preschool. Maybe this'll be easier though. I hope it is!

1 comment: