I was on the medical team today. We went out to one of the biggest colonies, but also one of the ones that's the most self-sufficient. It's so cool to finally see the places I've been reading about for almost 2 years! I was really hoping to see one of the bags we made in IWA, but no one had one today. I'm crossing my fingers that next time I'm on medical I'll see one!
The people in the colonies are so nice! Actually, all the people here are. They love to watch us wherever we go and always wave as we drive by. One cute little old man today was so afraid to get his toenails clipped! He wouldn't let Debbie do it, or the Indian nurse that was with us. It was so funny to watch him jump. He kept coming back in the building to check on all of us, too. It was so cute! I LOVED being able to finally see the colonies. I've been reading about them, and talking to people about this for almost 2 years now, so it was a big accomplishment to actually see them.
The animals run wild here. There's always cows, goats, and dogs in the middle of the street without owners. Sometimes chickens/roosters, too. It's so weird. I saw monkeys today. Apparently they are really mean. And I bought a painting from one of the colonies. I'm so excited to hang it up in my classroom when I get back!
It poured rain this afternoon. So much so that I was drenched in about 2 minutes. It was awesome! And it was so cool to watch the lightening when we went up to the roof for dinner. (The roof is covered....so no worries there.) Red rice is apparently something we have for dinner every night. It wasn't too bad last night or tonight. But I think by the time I leave, I will never want to eat rice again. However the curry is delicious! And I love that it's spicy. :) We also had hard boiled eggs that were boiled in some onion and something sauce. They were spicy, too, but so good! I also had my first ever bucket shower. Yeah.....I'll be glad to be done with those! Still can't bring myself to use the Indian toilets. Maybe on my last day, just to say I did it.
I think tomorrow is going to be my favorite day. I'm on the education team, and I get to spend the whole day in the school! Seriously, I can hardly contain my excitement. :) The boys and girls are separated here, so it'll be a nice taste of what I'll get in 6 weeks. (Yikes! That came fast!)
*More pictures to come tomorrow, probably.
The people in the colonies are so nice! Actually, all the people here are. They love to watch us wherever we go and always wave as we drive by. One cute little old man today was so afraid to get his toenails clipped! He wouldn't let Debbie do it, or the Indian nurse that was with us. It was so funny to watch him jump. He kept coming back in the building to check on all of us, too. It was so cute! I LOVED being able to finally see the colonies. I've been reading about them, and talking to people about this for almost 2 years now, so it was a big accomplishment to actually see them.
The animals run wild here. There's always cows, goats, and dogs in the middle of the street without owners. Sometimes chickens/roosters, too. It's so weird. I saw monkeys today. Apparently they are really mean. And I bought a painting from one of the colonies. I'm so excited to hang it up in my classroom when I get back!
It poured rain this afternoon. So much so that I was drenched in about 2 minutes. It was awesome! And it was so cool to watch the lightening when we went up to the roof for dinner. (The roof is covered....so no worries there.) Red rice is apparently something we have for dinner every night. It wasn't too bad last night or tonight. But I think by the time I leave, I will never want to eat rice again. However the curry is delicious! And I love that it's spicy. :) We also had hard boiled eggs that were boiled in some onion and something sauce. They were spicy, too, but so good! I also had my first ever bucket shower. Yeah.....I'll be glad to be done with those! Still can't bring myself to use the Indian toilets. Maybe on my last day, just to say I did it.
I think tomorrow is going to be my favorite day. I'm on the education team, and I get to spend the whole day in the school! Seriously, I can hardly contain my excitement. :) The boys and girls are separated here, so it'll be a nice taste of what I'll get in 6 weeks. (Yikes! That came fast!)
*More pictures to come tomorrow, probably.
What is an Indian toilet?
ReplyDeleteI'm guessing a hole . . .
DeleteUh huh. It's a porcelain hole, but I just can't do it.
DeleteWatch out those monkeys like to act cute until they get the chance to steal something from ya. Then all heck breaks lose.
ReplyDeleteWhat do you mean a porcelain hole?
ReplyDeleteShay
It's like they put a toilet in the hole in the ground. But it's level with the ground, so you have to squat.
Delete