Today was my last day on medical. Still did not see anyone with one of our IWA bags, nor did I get to hand any out. While talking with Klorisa about it, she said it's probably because since the patients have gotten those bags, they have been taking much better care of their wounds and therefore less people are coming to get them cleaned by the volunteers. They only come if the doctor is there as well. Which happens about every 3 weeks or so.
I was once again on debriefing with Navomani. We saw a lot more patients come through today than on Friday. And she let me put the bandages on all of them. She even asked if I wanted to cut away the skin once. I wasn't quite ready for that, though. It was so cool to see everyone's reactions to what we do. Every single person I helped today looked me in the eye and said thank you multiple times. Nearly brought me to tears every time! These people really know how to express their gratitude, and are very sincere about it.
After we were done at the colony, we got to go to the zoo! It was pretty awesome. :) In reality, it was very similar to a zoo in the states. But it's just so awesome to say I visited a zoo in India. Plus, we saw a cobra. It was in a glass cage, no worries. The otter was my favorite. For some reason there was only one and it was almost like it was putting on a show for us. We rented a golf cart like thing because everything is very spread out. And us Americans were more exciting to everyone than the animals. Weird. But whatev.
Tomorrow's my last day here at Rising Star. :( I have mixed emotions about it. I'm excited to head up to Delhi and see the Taj and various other things for a few days. And I'm excited to be back in the states and eat "real" food (curry only goes so far!) and use a real shower (I'll never look at a bucket the same again). But I absolutely love the people here. And it's a wonderful experience to see how these people live on a daily basis. Guess we'll see how I feel about it tomorrow.
*Pictures to come tomorrow. I'm too lazy to upload them tonight!
I was once again on debriefing with Navomani. We saw a lot more patients come through today than on Friday. And she let me put the bandages on all of them. She even asked if I wanted to cut away the skin once. I wasn't quite ready for that, though. It was so cool to see everyone's reactions to what we do. Every single person I helped today looked me in the eye and said thank you multiple times. Nearly brought me to tears every time! These people really know how to express their gratitude, and are very sincere about it.
After we were done at the colony, we got to go to the zoo! It was pretty awesome. :) In reality, it was very similar to a zoo in the states. But it's just so awesome to say I visited a zoo in India. Plus, we saw a cobra. It was in a glass cage, no worries. The otter was my favorite. For some reason there was only one and it was almost like it was putting on a show for us. We rented a golf cart like thing because everything is very spread out. And us Americans were more exciting to everyone than the animals. Weird. But whatev.
Tomorrow's my last day here at Rising Star. :( I have mixed emotions about it. I'm excited to head up to Delhi and see the Taj and various other things for a few days. And I'm excited to be back in the states and eat "real" food (curry only goes so far!) and use a real shower (I'll never look at a bucket the same again). But I absolutely love the people here. And it's a wonderful experience to see how these people live on a daily basis. Guess we'll see how I feel about it tomorrow.
*Pictures to come tomorrow. I'm too lazy to upload them tonight!
Have fun sight seeing . Love Grandma
ReplyDelete