Saturday, February 14, 2009

Watched by Angels

Tonight, Elise, Aubrey and I headed down to Salt Lake for a Valentine's dance that Aubrey's mom puts together for the adults in their stake. Aubrey and Elise have both performed in the floor show for this dance and said it was way fun, plus they needed a ride there. So I agreed to go, and we had so much fun! I didn't know anyone other than the girls I went with, and Aubrey's parents and sister, Stephanie. But it was a blast. We got all we could eat, free, delicious food and we got to dance and just have some girl time. It was great. :)

We left Salt Lake shortly after 10pm, as I had to come into work at midnight. Gross, I know. Not long after getting on the freeway, it started to snow. I hate driving at night in the first place, but driving at night in the snow is even worse. It wasn't terrible though, so I was okay with it. However, as you may have guessed, it got worse. Way worse. Traffic slowed from 65 to 30, with some stupid people still going faster. We started seeing several people who had slid off the road, on both sides of the freeway. Traffic on our side started to slow down a lot, and this little car right in front of us had to slam on the brakes. He started sliding and the next thing I knew, was facing perpendicular to the flow of traffic. Scarry, yes. To avoid hitting him, I had to hit my brakes, and then I began to slid and fishtail and swerve to miss the other car. Somehow, I got out of it pretty quickly, and avoided an accident. As we started moving forward again, I looked in my rearview mirror and saw 3 other cars trying to avoid hitting the same car. Amazingly enough, none of them ran into each other. So what should have been at least a 5 car pile up turned out to be nothing but a few cars sliding and then continuing on their way. Amazing? Absolutely.

Then, since it was still snowing when we got to Brigham, I decided to not go through Sardine. I hate driving through there in good weather, so there was no way I was going through in the dark and the snow. We continued driving towards Tremonton, and the roads kept getting worse. When we finally got off at the Riverside/Logan exit, it hadn't even been plowed. Neither had the road from there to Logan. As well as I know that road, the whole time I felt like I didn't know where I was. I couldn't see the lane at all, or even where the road stopped and it turned into gravel on the shoulder. Finally, almost 3 hours after leaving Salt Lake, we made it back to Logan. We were definitley watched over by angels tonight, and we are all very greatful for it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment