Monday, March 23, 2009

Website evaluations

I liked the double sided form from discoveryschool.com. I feel like that one related the most to elementary level websites, way more than the other ones did. I felt like the other three were for more general sties, like maybe those you would use while writing a research paper or something. I didn't really discover any hidden secrets. I've had to evaluate websites previously, so I already knew what to look for. There is value in using website evaluations, however. For example, if the author is not a reliable one, it's probably not that credible of a site to use. Also, if it teaches the wrong information, or is different than what has been taught in class, you probably shouldn't let your students use it, as it would likely just confuse them. Times when I would not use a formal website evaluation would be when I'm just looking for ideas for lesson plans. By only using ideas, I wouldn't be using the actual lesson plan found online. Instead it would only be the format, or certain ideas from the lesson, but I would have tweaked it to fit the students in my classroom. Overall, I think evaluating the validity of a website is a good thing to do before you recommend them to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment