Left Mom and Dad's house before the sun was even up on Saturday, March 24th. I think my parents are a little paranoid about being at the airport early because for both trips I took last month, I ended up sitting around waiting for 2 hours after going through security in less than 20 minutes. In the 3 hours it took to get to Chicago, I read an entire book. Okay, it was only like 70 pages. And I was done way before my plane landed. Both Tayna and I were supposed to have 35 minutes in Chicago, but we both landed late and had to practically run to the next gate (thank goodness we weren't at O'Hare!) just to find out that our next plane wasn't even there yet. But we finally found each other and our connection took off 30 minutes late. Which turned out to be perfect, because we landed about 45 seconds before Bill called me to say he was there waiting for us. We got our bags, and hit the road for the hour drive from Buffalo to Fairport, New York. It was seriously so much fun staying with Bill, Jill, Sadie and Doug! I can't believe it took me nearly 6 years to go visit them! Jill had made a huge dinner for us, and her mom, Laney, even came over that night. I'd met her when I lived with them in Indiana. I loved it!
One of Sadie's best friends is LDS, and her mom gave Sadie the address for their church and the time, so Sunday morning Tayna and I got up and went to sacrament. Mostly we hung out at the house that day, but both the kids wanted to see The Hunger Games, so we went that night. Felt a little guilty going to a movie on a Sunday, but it was vacation and pretty much the only chance I had to hang out with both kids. So we jumped on it.
Monday was spent touring the area around Niagara Falls; in Canada. Yeah. I drove in Canada. And it's a good thing they don't drive on the opposite side of the road there, because I didn't even think about that until a couple days ago. But it was beautiful and so worth the freezing temps! But, Canada fails because they didn't stamp my passport. Lame.
Tuesday we went over to Palmyra. It wasn't quite what I expected, but still neat. I think my favorite part was being able to walk through the Sacred Grove and the print shop where the Book of Mormon was originally printed.
Wednesday we left Buffalo and headed down to Baltimore. Which is actually not where Tayna's friends live. We had to drive an hour to Virginia after that. But it was still cool. Also, I got my first experience riding on the metro. It was.....neat. We went to DC Cupcakes, walked around Georgetown campus a little, met up with Jason's wife, Bryn, and then went to The Mall. We saw the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, MLK, and a few other things. At night, even. That was neat.
Thursday and Friday Jason had to work, but Bryn didn't have school. So the 3 of us girls went back down to the Mall and played around both days. We went to the American History Museum, Natural History Museum, Air and Space Museum, rode a carousel, found a cherry blossom tree in full bloom, went to the White House, the works. We also probably walked like, 10 miles each day.
Saturday we spent the day driving through Gettysburg. That place was seriously awesome! I want to go back around the 4th of July to see the reenactment. Sadly, my camera was out of space by then (except the few I had left for pics of the DC temple) and facebook won't let me copy and paste anymore. Lame. Sunday, we had to come home. :( But we stopped at the Washington DC temple first, and it was so cool! And huge. Like, massive. It was neat.
This trip was so much fun! And I just want to do it all over again. But instead, Tayna and I are going to go to Ireland and Scotland for 2 weeks next summer. And I'll get 2 stamps in my passport. :)
It sounds like a great trip!
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome trip! I would love to go back east sometime and see all of that!
ReplyDelete