Monday, February 11, 2013

First graders say funny things...

One of the best things about teaching first grade is all the funny things students say with such innocence.  My students are convinced that all teachers should be married and have kids. It baffles them that I fall in neither of those categories. But it can lead to some pretty funny conversations. :)

Student: "Miss Barnes, I know you're in love with one of those boys you hang out with."
Me: "Oh yeah? Which one?"
S: "I don't know. One of them. Who do you even hang out with?"
M: "Lately, a boy named David and another one named Cody."
S: "Hmmm....it must be Cody!"
I gave no response other than laughing. And a few others students had come to listen.
S: "I knew it! See? You're smiling. You totally love Cody!"

Later today, same student:

S: "Miss Barnes, you shouldn't hang out with boys."
M: "Why not? What if I like hanging out with boys?"
S: "Ahhh! You're gonna make me throw up!" (as he starts for the door)
M: (laughing) "So and so, if girls don't hang out with boys, how are they supposed to find someone to marry?"
S: "Ah man! I didn't think about that! But you have to be at least 16 to get married."
M: "I'm way more than 16, bud."
S: "No, wait. I meant 20."
M: "Well, I'm more than 20, too. Remember?" (pretty sure they ask me on a daily basis how old I am!)
S: "Well then, you've just gotta get married. I guess you can still hang out with boys, then."

This is the same kid who once told me he needed to go home because he needed cough surgery.  What am I going to do next year when I no longer have this kid in my class?!

No comments:

Post a Comment